Thursday, April 10, 2014

World Parkinson's Day

*The products in this post were either purchased by me or received as a gift. As always, all opinions are my own. For more info you can view my disclosure policy here.*

Tomorrow is World Parkinson's Day and Nailpolis Museum is having a nail art challenge to raise awareness. I don't usually enter nail challenges because we all know I'm not good at it but I really wanted to enter this one in honor of my grandma's longtime boyfriend Dalton.

What is Parkinson's Disease?
    Parkinson's disease (PD) affects millions of people in the world. It is a chronic and progressive movement disorder, meaning that it continues and worsen over time. Parkinson's involves a loss of nerve cells in the brain, called neurons. Neurons produce dopamine, a chemical that tells our brains how to move. As Parkinson's Disease progresses, the amount of dopamine produced in the brain decreases, leaving a person unable to control movement normally. While, there are treatment options such as medication and surgery to manage its symptoms, there is currently no cure for it. Read on more on the Parkinson's Disease Foundation page.

For my nail art I started with a base of Color Mates Cancun Blue Sky. I have a couple of Color Mates swatch post coming up. At the time I did these I didn't know that the awareness ribbon for Parkinson's was blue so it kinda worked out, the worldwide symbol is a red tulip. And for the tulips I used acrylic paint and this tutorial from Pixie Polish.


These aren't perfect but I was really happy with how they came out. I'm still learning to work with the paint and free handing. What do you ladies think? You can view all the designs from the rest of the participants here. As always, thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed :)


2 comments:

Got a question or just something that you wanna say? Leave me a comment...I love hearing from you guys!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...